Monday, February 22, 2010

Rocket Man and Piano Man


In 2003 I read an article describing one of the best concerts on tour it was an Elton John and Billy Joel Concert. I placed this concert on a mental list of a concert I wanted to see before I died!
Last Summer Jeff and I were listing some of things we wanted to do -- sort of our own
Bucket List. I mentioned that I had always wanted to see Elton John and Billy Joel perform
together -- if they still did. While driving in SLC, one weekend, I saw a billboard announcing this concert was coming to SLC. The next day Jeff surprised me with tickets in awesome seats.

The concert was suppose to be last November but was postponed until Feb. 19, 2010!

The night finally arrived and it was much more than we expected. The lights dim at 7:45 at the SLC Energy Solutions event center and the arena fills with the sounds of Randy Newman’s “The Natural.” Twin grand pianos rise up from underneath the giant stage. Billy Joel, 60, comes out first to the tune of “Yankee Doodle Dandy.” Elton John, 63, enters from the opposite side to the blaring “Hail Brittania.” The two music superstars share a warm embrace and acknowledge the thunderous roar of the crowd. Either one or both of these musicians play -- non stop -- no intermission until 11:00 PM

The concert was amazing. The sound was perfect. We felt as if we were sitting in a small concert hall listening to these two amazing pianists. The first half hour they played together sharing the lyrics of "Your Song", "My Life", "Don't Let the Sun Go Down On Me", and others. It was amazing watching and listening to these superstars perform their music and switch back and forth singing each others lyrics while jamming together on the piano. Then Billy Joel left the stage and for the next 45 minutes Elton John performed alone. Elton John left the stage and Billy Joel performed for about 45 minutes. They ended the concert performing together for about 30 more minutes concluding with Piano Man and Candle in the Wind. The lights, sound and stage were amazing and superstar quality. I have never been to a concert of this caliber before. It was so cool to watch and hear them perform Rocket Man and Piano Man, Uptown Girl, all their hits. I loved loved loved it!!!




4 comments:

Unknown said...

That sounds like so much fun! Seriously would be an awesome experience.

Erika said...

The last concert I went to was Ratt and Poison. It's not the same, but I might have sat through this. Really, Wow! I would have loved that. I think I might be a bigger fan of Elton John, but just by a hair. There are so many good songs from both of them. Money well spent.

Amy Eagleston said...

That is really cool! I am glad you got to go!

La said...

Wow. What a great concert. Very cool